Sunday, August 25, 2013

Inheritance

I find it kind of strange that my children inherited some peculiar traits from me.  I mean, G has my ADHD.  Not strange.  J has my blue eyes.  Not strange.  But G inherited my inability to deal with suspense.  And its strange.

I was the laughing stock of my husband and in-laws for quite awhile after a movie incident years ago.  We were watching "Meet the Parents."  It was not my first time seeing the movie.  I thought it was funny, but hard to watch.  We get to the scene with the cat on the roof.  Everyone in the room is laughing.

I had to get up and leave.  I could not stand to watch the destruction.  It was just too much, even though it was all funny.

I threatened to walk out of the theater during the last "Lord of the Rings" movie when my husband wanted me to sit and wait it out to see if Aragorn and Arwen end up together.  I was about to leave- I couldn't take it.

I honestly read movie spoilers online before going to see the movie, just so I know.

G has this issue as well.  I can't even count the number of times that we've been watching some innocuous children's show- Doc McStuffins, Mike the Knight, Team Umi Zoomi- and he's run out of the room with his hands on his ears, yelling, "I can't stand it!"  These are not scary shows!  I mean, c'mon.  Doc McStuffins has never lost a patient, and I can't imagine the Disney cooperation allowing a toy doctor to kill off a talking baby doll.

Poor husband o' mine.  He loves movies.  Any and all of them.  And he's stuck with me, who won't watch anything overly dramatic, and G, who freaks out at movies he's already seen a dozen times.

I don't think its an ADHD thing, because other ADHDers that I know don't have this issue.  I think its just me being me and G being G.

What's the strangest thing that your child has inherited from you?

No comments:

Post a Comment