Monday, August 19, 2013

Karate, Part 3

G has been in karate since early July.  Its been a roller coaster, but lately he's been doing really well.  He still isn't very attentive, and he really likes to talk to the teachers about anything that's on his mind.  He is doing a much better job at keeping his hands, feet, and esophageal ganglia to himself.  He blows on the kids every once in awhile, but its not nearly as often as before.  And we haven't had take-downs or other major physical issues in ages.

His teacher came up to me today and asked if we would be re-enrolling G for more lessons.  As far as extracurricular activities go, this karate program has been our best experience.  I figured I'd talk to G and my husband about how long (this decides pricing) we wanted to register for.

After class, I talk to G, and guess what? 

He doesn't want to keep going karate.

Really?  I mean, REALLY?

He did have a really cute idea about saving my money and putting it in his jar so that he can have more money and buy something with it.  He's all about the toys.  I get that.  Now I don't know what to do.  I know that some kids are joiners and some aren't.  But how much do you press when its a kid with social skills problems, ADHD, and sensory issues?  Does he have to have a good reason?  Does he need to pick something different until we find something that he doesn't want to stop doing?  Do I let him just chill at home?

I have no clue.  None.  So I bring it to cyberspace.  What do you do when your kid wants to quit an activity that you, as a parent, like them participating in?  Should I make him put another year in it, because I want him to, or do we take a break, or do we find something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment