Monday, August 26, 2013

The First Day of First Grade

I didn't get to see G much today.  Since I'm working with three grade levels this year, I was like the proverbial one-armed paperhanger.  Very busy!  I poked my head into his lunch line for a high five, and he seemed pretty happy.

After school, he was heading to my classroom, and I asked the guidance counselor if he could hang in her room for a bit (I had to get a couple of kinders on the bus).  Next thing I know, the guidance counselor comes to tell me that G has pinched the son of a colleague of ours.  Really hard.

Ugh.  On the first day of school.  Really, G?  The first day of school?

G and this little guy have a history.  They didn't get along last year during the ten minutes they saw each other (he's a grade below but caught the bus to pre-k at another school), and G has decided he doesn't like this boy.

I explained that we aren't going to like everyone.  And that's okay.  It is not, however, okay to hurt someone.  He's older, and its his job to be safe and keep others safe.  So we went back to my room and took an hour to write an apology.  Too bad we didn't get to the real homework!

I'm just frustrated.  The first day of school has enough drama without any extra.  And this is at my job!  I have to go work with this child's mother!  C'mon, G.  Help me out.

I hope I didn't give him too hard a time about it.  We've discussed the situation some, but he just told my husband, "Let's not talk about the bad stuff that happened today.  Let's just talk about how I was good in class."

There's always tomorrow, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment