Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Meet the Teacher

This afternoon, G got to meet his upcoming first grade teacher.  I think it went really well, but I was cautious about it, planned some things ahead, and the teacher had some things ready.

- We went when the medication was in him.  Registration day is 12:30-7:00 pm.  If we registered him in the evening, my husband could come.  But G wouldn't be his best self.

- My mom came along.  It was helpful to have a second set of ears, since I don't always retain information.

- The teacher had a heads-up about G (duh- she's my colleague- but I would've met with her beforehand if she didn't work with me), so she was prepared for him.

- I let G do the talking.  He tends to take awhile to answer questions (10 second pause, about), but I didn't step in.  He's got to work on it.

- The teacher had a series of numbered activities to complete.  Step 1: Sign in with names, phone numbers, and emails.  Step 2: Read the rules packet.  Step 3: Fill out the student survey.  Etc.  It gave G a purpose for the time.

I have a great feeling about things.  Mrs. D is firm and fair.  Younger, but with experience.  Homework is going to kill me, but that's for another blog entry; I'm terrified about how I'll survive it!

One aside, my heart was happy when I left.  There's a little boy from G's kindergarten class that's with him again.  G went to his birthday party.  The boy's mom volunteers at the school, so she's seen G at his best and worst.  Her son is awesome.  Quiet, calm, great reader, neurotypical...  He couldn't come and pick his seat, so his mom picked a desk for him.  We were the first two kids to come in and pick.  And where did she put her little guy?  Right next to my little guy.  She could've put him on the other side of the room, but she didn't.  She picked a seat next to G.  It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment