Saturday, August 17, 2013

Parenting Criticism

I am not a perfect person, and I'm not a perfect parent.  I love my kids a lot, and I have the best of intentions.  Things don't always work out the way I want them to.  Sometimes these less-than-favorable situations occur in front of strangers.  And sometimes those strangers think they have the answers.

We were at the local Subway one recent evening.  G and J were both really wound up (medicine was out of G's system).  There was one couple eating, and two or three people in line.  I didn't worry too much, as long as they were semi-quiet.  They were swinging on the bar in the wait line and racing each other back and forth across the widest space.  This guy behind me starts to chuckle a bit under his breath at their antics.  Sensing a sense of humor, I smiled at him and said, "Keep laughing, and they both go home with you!"  He laughed back.  We got our food and ate.  He gave a little wave on his way out.  A kindred spirit.  I bet he was remembering being a lot like G and J.  No big deal.

We went into the bathroom to wash up.  They have one of those Excellerator dryers that make a lot of scary noise when you don't like loud noises.  J decided he wanted to keep starting it and putting his head under it.  He's screaming, because that's the noise he makes ALL THE TIME now.  Happy?  Scream.  Sad?  Scream.  Angry?  Scream.  Then G gets more wound up because the dryer is loud and his brother is loud.  I have two kids screaming very loudly.  Their excitement is feeding off of each other.  I don't stress out much- there weren't many people in the restaurant, and we are kinda in the back away from the people.  It also wasn't the type of screaming to imply chainsaw massacre.  I laugh it off, I get them wrangled, and out we go.

No one there?  WRONG.  Suddenly, everyone wanted to go to Subway, and they all heard my kids.  I kind of duck my head and smile with a "boys will be boys" expression.  Most of the people in line give a sympathetic smile back.  The guy at the register, in his sixties or seventies, though, has an opinion.  "Some kids... But if they were my kids..."

Whoa.  Really, dude?  I'll let you at 'em for awhile.  I'll even hang on to the Focalin if you want to try to straighten them out all on your own.  Don't start judging strangers on their parenting (unless you see someone beating their child or being verbally abusive- not okay) without having more information.  I'm okay with input.  My husband, my mom, my sister, my in-laws, my friends (the ones with less-than-perfect children), my co-workers...  Feel free.  I'm open to suggestions.  But strangers at Subway?  Knock it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment