Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ups and Downs

We are having a week of limbo.  J just started his new preschool Monday.  G doesn't start school until the 26th, so he's been with my mom.  They have had some great days together.  Today they went to the pool, and G was so sweet to one of the other kids there.  He helped her look for her special toy and was trying to be a good friend.

I picked him up and got lots of hugs.  The medicine had worn off, and he was a little wild, but I like the wild hugs the best.

We got home and dinner was a joint effort.  While my husband and I were working on different dinner things, the boys were playing.  They tussled a bit over who had a toy first, but I wasn't too worried.  J was doing his typical "scream when my brother looks at me" routine.  I don't know what set things off, but I looked over to see G choking J.

Now, I'm don't want to act like the boys don't get rough with each other.  But I wasn't prepared for this.  It was both hands around the neck.  I snapped.  I yelled and sent G up to his room.  After a few minutes, I had him come downstairs and I fed him a simple dinner.  Then I took him up and put him to bed.  Softy that I am, I gave him three books to look at.  (He was in bed nearly two hours earlier than last night- big change.)

I just feel so bad for J.  Mind you, J can be an obnoxious little brother at times.  Choking is just a whole other level than pushing or hitting, at least in my mind.  G was very sorry about the incident, and I have no doubt that his regret is real.  I just hope that my reaction and the consequences will be enough to prevent round two of this fight.

This part of parenthood is the pits.

No comments:

Post a Comment