Monday, August 12, 2013

Co-morbidity with ADHD

I've been thinking a lot about ADHD co-morbidity.  I found an interesting diagram here.  (I don't know a whole lot about quoting other sources on the internet.  Its not my diagram.  I don't know whose it is.  But I like it- if its yours, awesome job.  Message me and I'll put your name with it.)  I'm not sure about the numbers that are on here.  I'm less concerned about the correctness of the numbers and more concerned about the big picture.


I don't tend to think of ADHD as a disability in most situations- there are definitely times in my life when my brain's method/madness has been an advantage.  I think of it as a brain's way of working, and I think its a spectrum, similar to current thinking on autism.   I know many people who have said, "I think I have some ADHD, too, especially in _________ situation..."  I don't doubt it.

When I look at this chart, I find myself in many areas.  I will have to take antidepressants for the rest of my life.  I'm not thrilled about that fact, but I have found some meds that work and have worked for years.  I definitely had difficulties in learning math as a teenager.  I was able to work through it to some extent in college and past.  Math isn't a strength for me, but I remember working so hard with my father and sister as tutors, and still not getting it.  I struggled with oppositional behaviors as a child and teenager.  Not as severe as some kids, but enough to where it caused problems in my family.  I don't see OCD on here, but I was diagnosed with that at one time.  It developed as a coping mechanism for my sleep difficulties, which were a result of an overactive brain at bedtime.

I look over this and wonder about the impact of my different way of thinking on my life.  Somewhere in elementary school, my academic, behavioral, and social lives were impacted by my brain.  My family and friend relationships suffered, leading to behavioral problems.  Then my self-esteem was impacted.  Would I have difficulty with depression if I didn't have ADHD?  How much of my depression was the mean voice in my head telling me that I was no good at math, and no one liked me, and I couldn't even be nice to my parents?  If I could pay attention better in math class, would I have been better at math?  Would my grades have been better, leading to higher self-esteem, leading to less depression?

I look at G and try to find him on this chart/spectrum.  We've got some behavioral stuff going on.  We've go some sensory/social stuff that inches towards the autism spectrum.  We've definitely got some OCD mixed in there.  I'm trying really hard to work on his self-esteem.  One of the things he hears from me a lot is, "I love you, no matter what."  I try to provide as much positive feedback as I can when the good times are rolling.  I don't turn my head to the bad stuff- we address it and move on.

I'd love to hear from cyberspace.  What do you think of this diagram?  Does it fit for you and/or your child?  Is something missing?  Do you have a site/diagram/article that relates to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment