Friday, August 2, 2013

I'm a loser!

So I've been on vacation.  It was lovely- flew out to visit my sister and her family in California.  I've been so excited to get away from my guys for just a bit of a break!

I arrived in California on Wednesday morning.  My brother-in-law picked me up at the airport and took me back to their house, where I rested for a bit until I could go pick up my niece at preschool at 12:45.  She's four, and I wasn't sure if she would be shy or excited to see me.  I showed up, and she was thrilled!  It was so sweet.  I had to show my license to take her, so they made a copy and gave it back to me.  I put it in my back pocket with my debit card, and we strolled off to Whole Foods for cookies, blueberries, and flowers.  We had a lovely time, and we got back to the house around two.  I checked my pockets to put the license and debit card back into my wallet.

All I had was the debit card.

I've been down this road before, people.  I lost a retainer in the Atlantic Ocean.  I lost approximately 50% of important papers from elementary through middle school.  I've thrown away brand new sneakers and spent hours digging through trash.  I've spent hours of my life looking for my keys.  

I retraced my route.  We walked back to the preschool and Whole Foods.  No trace.  I left my name and number at Whole Foods.  I called the police department, where I was told to come back the next day and make a report.  In a matter of two hours, I had added a small disaster to my vacation.

I continued to check in at Whole Foods and the preschool to see if anyone had found the license.  I asked my husband to try and get me a replacement online (impossible, it turns out, since the photo was ten years old...).  I called the airlines and spoke with the TSA to make sure I could get home, since that was my only photo ID unless you count my Sam's Club card.  This is all familiar territory for me.  I'm so used to losing things.  I did figure it would turn up eventually, and I'd be able to laugh and say, "All's well that ends well."

No luck.  I arrived back to my home state yesterday.  I was allowed on the plane after showing my library card, voter registration card, blank checks, and having a thorough pat-down.  (The lady was very nice.  I didn't feel violated at all- it was almost like a gentle massage.)  I headed to the DMV with a bunch of papers from the safe, just in case no one believed I was me.  $20 later and a new (and far less attractive) photo, I'm back to legal.  The new license arrives in 3-10 days, and I'll be able to say, "All's well that ends well."

No comments:

Post a Comment