Tuesday, September 3, 2013

If it works for me...

It may work for G.  Today we had homework.  Its nothing huge- ten spelling words, written three times each.  Boy, oh boy.  Fun stuff when you hate to write!  I sat G down to do his work after school, and he fussed and fussed.  I asked him to tell me what I could do to help.  He wanted me two write each word two times so he only had to write them once.  Sorry, kid.  No can do.

Then it hit me.  Sometimes, I need breaks in between my work.  So I had him write each word once, then take a break, write each word once, take a break, write each word the last time.

Ta da!  Homework completed about eight minutes later.  Word to the parents out there struggling with homework- chunk it.  (I typed chuck it first.  While I like the idea of chucking homework, my colleagues would string me up.)  Use timers.  Set goals.  Break it up so that kids have a chance to wiggle and chill out.

And I'll keep working on doing this myself when all the work piles up!

No comments:

Post a Comment