Saturday, September 7, 2013

I know its normal...

But I can't handle my kid saying, "Stop telling me what to do!"  I mean, I teach kids his age and maturity level.  I've been given the stink-eye and yelled at plenty of times.  I'm used to being the bad guy who enforces the rules with tough love.

This is different, though.  As a teacher, I can send that grumpy child home to someone else.  I can't send G home until he comes back to me with a better attitude.  For right now, we are justing using his room as a grumpy spot.  If he starts being too angry, we send him up to cool down.  He settles down pretty quickly, as his ADHD make him highly distractible.

"NO!  I won't do that.  Stop telling me what to do!  I'm angry!  Look- Legos!  I'm going to build the Sarlacc!"  Two minute tantrum.  Done.

I do need to find a way to get that phrase out of his repertoire.  I'm his mom.  My husband is his dad.  As his parents, it is our right... make that our pleasure... to get to tell him what to do.  And he's going to just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment