Thursday, September 5, 2013

More About Medication

I love our ADHD medications.  10 mg Focalin XR each morning.  One Intuniv each evening.  I especially like that Intuniv doesn't require me to jump through hoops for a refill.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Remembering to give the medications is a daily struggle in our family.  I give G the morning dose of Focalin, and we haven't forgotten in ages.  (I do carry an emergency stash, just in case.)  I do live in fear that I'll forget, he'll have a terrible day, and it'll be all my fault.

The evening dose is harder to remember, since my husband and I take turns with putting G to bed.  If I'm working late, he puts G to bed, and invariably forgets to give G the medicine.  If he's putting G to bed and I'm home, I have to remember the meds.  That usually entails me running up with a spoonful of applesauce right after the lights have been turned out.  Same goes for when I put G to bed myself.

Fortunately, its not too bad when G doesn't have his meds.  He's less focused, but not totally unable to function.  He tends to be a bit more cheerful without the Intuniv, but then we wouldn't ever get homework done.  Or survive dinnertime.

Its all part of the grand balancing act that we go through.  There are times when I am so sad that it takes two medications to keep G functioning well.  Then I remember that we are doing what he needs to function.  We wouldn't question medicating him for epilepsy or diabetes.  That helps me keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment