Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dilemma

What do you do when your child with ADHD has a bad day, and someone else's child gets hurt?  I really wish I didn't have to ask this question, but I don't know what to do.

G had a rough day and was putting his hands on lots of kids in the class.  He had his evening medicine last night and his morning medicine today.  At some point, before the meds should have worn off, he had his hands on another boy in his class.  The boy ended up on the ground, and his arm was scraped up pretty well.

I got a note from the teacher.  G and I discussed his behavior.  He lost all screen time for the afternoon and evening, and I ended up putting him to bed earlier than usual (mainly because we're all exhausted in the house today).  I didn't go nuts with the admonishing, but I made sure he knew that he had consequences for his behavior.

I still feel guilty.  I hate knowing that someone got hurt because of my kid.  If G had gotten scraped up, if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't make a big deal of it.  But what if this other kid's mom makes a big deal of it?  What if she shows up at school all mad that her child got hurt?  I want G to be able to help it.  I can't do anything more than I'm already doing.  Spanking him and taking away his Legos isn't going to make it any easier for him to keep his hands to himself.  Or am I enabling my child's behavior?

How do other parents out there deal with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment