Monday, September 23, 2013

ADHD and My Weight

I have struggled with being overweight for most of my adult life.  I attribute this to a couple of different things, but while I can pinpoint some of the issues, I've yet to actually solve the problem.

I am a mild binge eater, on a regular basis.  I won't buy and eat several boxes of cookies, but if there's a box in the house, and its open, I'll eat a lot of them.  Or finish the whole box with the idea that if I finish it, it won't be calling my name anymore.  I go on frequent little binges.  I have done this fairly steadily from childhood on.  I don't know if has to do with impulse control or some signal in my brain that my ancestors had to always be prepared for a famine.  I just know how embarrassing it was when my mom found I'd been hoarding food in my closet.

I also have no sticking power for diets.  I can go a couple of weeks pretty steadily, and then I'll fall off the wagon.  I can get back on, only to fall off again fairly quickly.  I'll go to a store not expecting to buy any junk food (sugary stuff is my weakness), but come out with a box of something unhealthy.  In my mind, I know I shouldn't buy or eat the junk.  I'll tell myself no, but I can't stick with it.  Forget the diet, I'll say to myself.  I know I'll regret it later.  I know that one flop on the diet usually leads me to another.  I have yet to figure out a way to keep myself from sabotaging myself.

This weekend I sabotaged myself.  I'm four pounds away from a goal weight I've had for months.  FOUR POUNDS.  And I ordered pizza Sunday night.  Starting tomorrow morning, I'm getting back on the wagon.  See ya later, four pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment