Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Camping, Take Two

Success!  I have to say that I was just as excited the second time around as I was the first.  Maybe more, since this time I wasn't feeling sick.

Hubby had a race, so the boys and I got the car all packed up.  Now, thanks to my ADHD, we did forget a few things; hubby had to go back for some pillows and we only had one flashlight.  Overall, however, I had most of our stuff packed up.

Once again, we had the campground area to ourselves.  We got everything all set up, during which time both boys proclaimed themselves "bored."  Hah!  Bored!  In the woods!  G has decided he doesn't like bugs, which made for a lot of shrieking each time something flew by.  I did pack some pirate figurines and monster trucks, so those provided a bit of entertainment for a brief period of time.

Then we went fishing.  I figured out how to cast, so I was having fun.  Hubby was showing J how to use his new little fishing pole.  Then there was G.  He just threw everything he could find into the lake.  Rocks.  Sticks.  Grass.  Bait.  Leaves.  Everything.  I'm guessing that's more of a boy thing than an ADHD thing, but it didn't help with catching the fish.

The fire is G's thing.  Once I got it started, he spent hours finding sticks, breaking them, and putting them in the fire.  Hours.  It was delightful for me.  He's actually quite good at tending the fire without getting injured.  I was quite surprised at his respect and love for the fire and his ability to behave appropriately.

We had some good food (a little burnt- I have to brush up) and enjoyed the nice weather.  Sleeping was hard at first as the boys talked and giggled to themselves for the longest time.  Once they fell asleep, though, they did very well.  I got too cold and couldn't sleep well, but I enjoyed watching the sun come up by the campfire while listening to owls calling to each other.

We spent several hours at the campsite in the morning playing with the fire, reading, exploring, and then went for a bit more fishing.

I felt like I'd accomplished something.  First, I camped with two young kids and got them started on the path towards outdoors enjoyment.  Second, I banished screen time for over 18 hours and made them breathe fresh air.  Parenting win!

I have to take those wins when I can get them.  They can be few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment