Monday, December 9, 2013

Sleep

When I was younger, sleep was terrible for me.  Looking back, I know that it was due to the ADHD.  My mind would race and race, and I couldn't calm down to get to sleep.  It doesn't sound like that big of a deal from today's perspective, but there were several years of hell for my parents and I.

I think it was late elementary school when it started.  My parents set up a good bedtime routine for my sister and I.  We would read stories, first together as young kids, then on our own.  We would say prayers and go to bed.  At a certain point, it started taking me up to six hours to fall asleep.  I don't remember my exact bedtime.  I do remember seeing one, two, three o'clock roll around some nights.

I had a lot of anxiety attacks.  Or just fear attacks.  It was a lot like a temper tantrum, but without the anger.  Crying, yelling, begging to sleep with my mom.  As a coping mechanism, I started going to bed earlier and earlier.  I figured that going to bed earlier would mean going to sleep earlier.  It didn't work.

The pediatrician tried to help with a two week supply of sleeping pills.  I remember the glorious feeling those little green pills gave me.  Peace, knowing I wasn't going to have to work at falling asleep.  Happiness that there would be no meltdown.  But it was only for two weeks.  The idea was to reset my sleep habits/internal clock/whatever.  It didn't work.

Starting around dinner time or dusk, whichever would come first given the season, I would become very anxious.  Sometimes the meltdown would occur before bedtime was even a thought for anyone else, because I was so upset about what would be coming.  I can remember going to camp and laying in my bunk about to jump out of my skin because I'd be in an unfamiliar place with new people, and I couldn't freak out.  Or maybe I could.  Then I just couldn't help it.  For years and years, evenings were horrible.

Once I was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD (due to my bedtime routines/behaviors) and medicated for these, the bedtime problems and anxiety disappeared.  Occasionally I have some kind of flashback to what it felt like when I was so wrapped up in the anxiety of laying in bed for hours, wanting to go to sleep.

Then G started having trouble sleeping.  I know my husband hates it when he comes to bed and G is in bed with me, but if G's upset about not being able to sleep, I cave in about 50% of the time.  The rest of the time, I go snuggle with him.  We've had a lot of improvement with lots of exercise and melatonin.  As of right now, I think I've managed to help him avoid the issues I had.

My advice?  Try exercise.  Try melatonin.  Try anything you have to.  Sleep is important, and sleep issues can have longterm impacts on kids.  And ADHD doesn't help with sleep issues at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment