Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bad Days

Its been a rough day for G, behaviorally.  I chatted with his teacher yesterday, and the one thing that's really a problem right now is blurting out.  He is curious and full of ideas.  So his questions and comments come fast and furious.  Not great when you're one of twenty or so kids.  So we talked about trying harder, although I wasn't sure it would do any good.

Since G goes to the school I teach at, he comes with me in the mornings.  We got to school at 7:30 this morning, 50 minutes before time to go to class.  He was very busy and did a lot of interrupting while I was working, but I'd given him his meds and figured they'd kick in eventually.  I'm not sure they ever did.  He had a pretty bad day.  Hands all over people, blurting out, disorganized, all up in everyone's business.

Then he spent another hour with me after school.  I was trying to meet about some things with colleagues, and he could not get quiet.  My coworkers think he's adorable, but he couldn't keep himself occupied while we talked.  As we were leaving, I was talking to another coworker, and he WOULD NOT STOP interrupting.

I lost it.  Not outwardly, but inwardly.  I probably would've gone bonkers at him if I hadn't had an audience.  He wanted me to carry his backpack.  I'd said no a dozen times.  I'd told him to stop whining about it.  Then he keeps interrupting, all over something I've already told him no about!

This afternoon he terrorized the cats to no end.  I can't get him to stop picking them up and carrying them around.  He's not hurting them, but he certainly isn't making any feline friends.  He was all over the place, not listening, bothering his brother, trying to touch George the Elf, and on and on.

I started to doubt myself.

Maybe I'm too lenient with him.

Maybe he just needs a good spanking.

Maybe he can really help it.

Maybe I need some Xanax.

And then it hits me.  Wisdom from a children's book.  Some days are like that.  Even in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment