Thursday, March 6, 2014

Writing

G has always had some problems with writing.  It started with a lack of desire to scribble or color.  I know, as a teacher, that these basic skills lay the foundation for writing.  I get it.  But G had a horrible reaction to being forced to color when he was younger.  So I didn't force it.  It was an activity at daycare/school that he would participate in, albeit without much effort, and I turned a blind eye.  I get reluctant writers to work all day long.  I deal with crying, whining, and gnashing of teeth for hours a day.  Do I really have to do it at home, too?

So now we are in first grade, and writing is not coming along nicely.  For one, he forms his letters incorrectly.  They are legible, but he uses a poor method to form them.  The OT (gosh, it helps to be a special education teacher) says its not that big of a deal.  It slows him down, but it doesn't impact grades.

Secondly, it takes forever to write sentences.  I think part of it is this little streak of perfectionism.  He doesn't know how to spell all the words he wants to spell, and he doesn't like to guess.  Another part is a bit of laziness.  He'd rather have someone else write for him (we DO NOT give in to it).  I'm not sure that's all the parts, but I have to have a game plan.

We are going to practice writing more with him on the weekends when his meds are fresh and we might have some patience.  I've also been working some with him on using a computer to type some work.  His teacher is going to give me some ideas as well.

I just worry that we are headed down a path toward academic difficulties and frustration much sooner than I'd anticipated.  I kind of thought we'd make it to middle school fairly easily, as long Husband and I kept him on a short leash.  And even as a special education teacher, I'm not sure of all the best ways to help G.  We aren't at our best in the evenings, G and I.

I'll just keep reminding myself, "This too shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment