Monday, March 3, 2014

Snow Days

This winter hasn't seemed particularly long for me, as it has for so many others.  I realize that I have a completely different view on things, since I'm a teacher.  Snow has a whole other meaning for me: extra time in my pajamas, cuddling up on the couch, watching cartoons, knitting.  No one asks me to leave the house or do anything all that complicated; I just have to keep the kids alive.

Today was a totally different type of snow day.  Both kids were home and my husband was working from home.  It was not that much fun for me.

Hubby working from home means lots of phone calls.  The kids can't stay quiet unless there's duct tape involved.  I've seen how that has worked out for other parents.  I don't want jail time, thank you very much.  He was downstairs in the library/office, which is right near the kitchen and living room.  Finally I sent him up to our room so that there was at least a door between his phone and the herd of elephants/pack of hyenas.

G, in all his ADHD glory, can be very quiet and industrious with his medicine.  Add J?  There's arguing, yelling, stomping, whining, crying, hitting, etc.  This made today an unusual snow day since J usually still goes to daycare when the weather is bad.  Hubby takes him on-time or late, so G and I can have some peace and quiet.  No one has left the house today to go any farther than the mailbox.

On the upside, I have discovered that G can enjoy card and board games.  J isn't very good at it, but G is in his prime.  I love Uno, so that's awesome.  I'm not such a fan of Chutes and Ladders, but I was a good sport and played nicely.  Rummikub Junior?  It was painful to try and play with the boys.  No one under the age of ten in this house understands the concept of keeping your pieces a secret!  J yelled out everything he got and kept tipping his tile-holder over.  G wasn't paying attention, so J kept looking at his pieces.  Oh well.  There's time.

One day, I'll write about my game playing issues.  I'm just glad I didn't pass them on to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment