Monday, July 15, 2013

Monkey See, Monkey Do

I talk a lot about the downside of ADHD, but I do have plenty of silver linings.  G has gotten to the point where he can be a good role model for J, and I can tell him how proud I am of him.  We have a lot of "monkey see, monkey do" in our house.  J thinks that G is the cat's pajamas.  So when G is jumping on the couch, so is J.  If G is climbing on the counters, so is J.

Yesterday we were at Whole Foods, and I was wrangling the boys into the car.  They both ran off from me in front of the store, and down the sidewalk.  It wasn't a safety issue, as they weren't near traffic.  I called a couple of times, but J was really thrilled to just follow G in his bid for freedom.  So I start to countdown from five.  This is a trick I use a lot with students and my boys.  It gives them a sense of a deadline.  I know counting to three works for some, but there's just too much of a chance to push it and wait for four.  Or five.  Or seventeen.  So I countdown and get to one.  G turns himself toward me and comes right over (thanks, Focalin!).  What does J do?  He follows right along.  "Monkey see, monkey do."

I was very happy to grab G, give him a hug, and tell him how proud I was that he made a good choice.  We talked about how his good choice helped J make a good choice.  Hugs and kisses ensued.  It was a proud moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment