Sunday, July 21, 2013

Birthday Party, In Retrospect

My one blog reader has asked if I have some ideas about how I would do G's birthday party differently.  Thanks for the input.  I've been thinking about it.

-  I would definitely make it an activity party.  As much as I hate planning that type of party, it would have kept G busy, and it would have helped him interact with his friends.  His previous party was like that.  It was Lego themed, so we made and raced Lego cars, etc.  It seemed like keeping him busy made the presents less attractive, at least temporarily.

- I would invite less adults.  This party was more of a get-together for all our friends, including parents.  G's dad and I were both trying to mingle with adults for some of the time.  This was okay for all the kids except G.

- I would start letting G know about a week in advance that we would not be opening presents at the party, and I would put them away somewhere behind a closed door.  (They were on the desk in our office, near the party this time.)  We would aim for "out of sight, out of mind," and I'd prepare him more in advance for the situation.

- If I decide not to do the party at home next year, which sounds great but costs more money, that might help, too.  There would be activities planned, like playing in a museum or skating.  That would probably help him interact with the other kids and keep him from fixating on the presents.  Its just a matter of being willing to spend all the money, or wanting to keep it frugal.

Maybe a year will give G a whole lot of maturity.  Maybe none of this will be an issue.  A mom can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment