Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Little Steps

I've set two goals for G this year.  First, I want him to be able to do his homework independently.  I don't mean that I won't provide assistance if needed or check when its finished.  I mean that he needs to look at the homework list, get started, try to finish, and stay on task until he's done without hurrying.  The second is for him to get up and get dressed cheerfully with minimal prompting from a parent.

So far the homework is going well.  I know the load is only a fourth today of what it will be in a few weeks.  The start of school is never as hard as later on.  However, he did start and finish today's one assignment with no complaining and no prompting to stay on task.  BIG DEAL, people!  He spent a whole day at school, then did more work without any negativity.  What a relief!  Maybe all the terrible homework experiences of last year are behind us, and we can move in an independent direction.

Mornings are not going so well.  There were tears yesterday, along with wailing about Daddy being mean.  (Since I take the boys to school with me for before and after school care, Daddy is now in charge of waking and dressing the boys- my least favorite part of the day heretofore.)  Today was less painful to hear, but no one was having a good time.

There are things that G is doing that I didn't think we'd accomplish.  Maybe I'm a pessimist or I underestimate my son, but I don't always have tons of faith in his level of maturity.  I'll take the little wins where I can and keep working on the others.  I'm so glad every time I find these little steps that are taking us in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment