Monday, April 14, 2014

The Camping Trip

So, it only lasted five hours.  We'd been preparing for a month with a new tent, new air mattress, and a sleeping bag for J.  We got all packed and prepped with groceries and everything sorted.  We intended to go Saturday at lunchtime until Sunday morning.

Then I got a migraine.  It came on early Saturday, and the aura and pain disappeared within an hour.  Unfortunately, the nausea didn't go away.

We set up our camp and had a few hours of hanging out and playing and (in my case) throwing up.

I tried to tough it out, but after five hours in the wilderness (okay, the Izaak Walton League isn't really that wild...), I couldn't take it anymore.  We took down the tent, packed up the food and sleeping gear, and headed on home.  But we learned some pretty awesome things during those five hours in the woods.

-  J, at nearly four, gets bored way to easily in the outdoors.

- The boys like to go in and out of the tent over and over.

- I still have my fire-starting mojo.  One match, baby!  And no dryer lint!

- Hobo packs are good for everyone: hamburger patties, potatoes, carrots, and onion.

- Sleeping bags make good worm costumes when you're bored.

- G LOVES maintaining the camp fire.  And he was pretty good at it.

I can't wait to try again, preferably without the migraine or other illness.  Of course, then I'll have to spend the night in a tent with the boys, and we probably won't sleep well.  But isn't that the funnest part of all about camping with kids?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment