Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sometimes its normal.

I worry so much.  I'm okay with my kid not being "normal."  I'm not normal, and I know few people who fit into neurotypical boxes.  But sometimes I worry too much about behavior.  It doesn't help that I'm at school with G and know about everything that happens.  Not participating in music?  The music teacher stops in to see me.  You get a referral to the office?  I see you when I'm walking by.  You need to pee out on the playground?  One of Mommy's coworkers will let her know before you even make it to the office.  I doubt I'd be any different if I was at a different school from G.  I try to get the scoop on all of J's behavior as well.

So we've had a great week and a half.  Today, though, G moved his name.  He was on "Think About It" instead of "Ready to Learn."  I was prepared, though.  I had peeked at the end of the day and I knew he had moved his name down.  I was just really hoping there was no hitting or kicking or punching or cussing or takedowns or biting.  But I was prepared.  Just in case.

"G, how was your day?"

"Mmmm, I was on Think About It."

"Oh?  What happened?"

"I was squeaking my shoes when we came inside."

Wow.  WOW.  Yay!  My kid got in trouble for something all the other kids might get in trouble for!  It is sad how happy I am that he was reprimanded for something so minor and trivial.  (And don't start about how that's not something to get in trouble for.  Unless you're an elementary school teacher, you probably don't get it.)

Sometimes, the stuff he gets in trouble for is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment