Sunday, November 17, 2013

We joined a church!

I tend to think that I live not just in the bible belt, but smack dab on the bible buckle.  There are a whole lot of very evangelical Christians here, and they don't always look fondly on beliefs like mine.  I have made some dear friends, and the relationship has been murdered when they have tried to save me.  I was raised Methodist, and find that as far as Christians go, I'm able to have good relationships with other Methodists.  But church has not been my "thing" in quite awhile.

One day last year, my darling five-year old G, came home from school and informed me that we needed to go to church.

Dead silence in the car.  Deep breath.  More silence.

"Well, G, okay.  I think I know where we should go."

And thus began our relationship with the Unitarian church.  My beliefs and my husband's beliefs meld very well in the church, although I can't imagine there are many beliefs that wouldn't mesh.  I knew from early on that the boys would fit in well.  G felt comfortable right away, and I was delighted when he chose to speak at the Day of the Dead ceremony last year in honor of my father.  He has made friends with children and adults.  He fits in.  We fit in.

In the words of one of the first evangelicals I met in our city when we moved here eleven years ago, we've found our church home.

No comments:

Post a Comment