Sunday, June 30, 2013

Summertime: Medicate or Not?

I feel guilty.  I medicate G on weekends and over the summer.  I know lots of parents that don't chose to medicate when their children aren't attending school.  I just can't take G out in public if he hasn't had his meds.

I tried it last week.  Now, I have to say, the toy store without meds wasn't my brightest idea.  We went to Toys R Us to spend some birthday money.  He was like a moth in a football stadium at night, unable to resist the pull of any of hundreds of bright lights.  He frantically flitted back and forth between different things, and it took ages to get him to make up his mind.  I actually spent most of the time laughing to myself.  Since I left J with the sitter, I was free to follow G around and didn't have to keep him right with me.  That would've been a disaster.

So when we leave the house, there needs to be some Focalin in his system.  We need meds for birthday parties, church, errands, etc.  It doesn't guarantee us a drama-free time.  I've had plenty of experience with sobbing drama when its time to start, stop, or change activities.  I have bribed G to come down and sing "Happy Birthday" instead of playing with the AT-ATs.  (Those did look like fun...)  I've had to pull G away from the sprayground for pushing or shoving the other children.

I wish I could tell when G would outgrow some of these behaviors.  When given the choice, he chooses not to take his meds.  But we don't give him the choice often.  Maybe in a few years it'll be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment