Sunday, June 23, 2013

ADHD at the beach

We are at the beach right now. I thought that surely the beach would be a great place to hang out with a kid with ADHD. An enormous sandbox?  Sign us up. I'm going to address just one small issue...  G will not stay near us.

G has wandered into the space of everyone around us, every day. Families with kids of their own. Families without kids. High schoolers here for Senior Week.  Some are amused. Some look at him like he's a little off. Some give me looks that imply they'd like the skewer me. What should I do?

Calling him over is hard to do. There's a lot of distraction on the beach. G can't go to the water to wash his hands off and make it 20 feet back for a snack without sand on his hands... until the third trip. Plus, he doesn't want to obey. He knows I'm going to pick at him about something.

Letting him run wild hardly seems fair. Even on meds he takes toys and begs for snacks. I mean, I could just let him bother everyone and they'll move if they are really bothered, but that's not fair to them.  I have no real solution to the problem.  I just know that the beach is as awkward as everywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment